Il "castrum Lucullanum": da "oppidum" a cittadella commerciale (secoli X-XII)
Artes Vol. XII/2010/2, pp. 279-286 DOI: 10.1556/Verb.12.2010.2.3
Keywords: Castrum Lucullanum, Middle Ages, Naples, commerce, merchants
Abstract: "Castrum Lucullanum" was a fortress near the city of Naples. It is famous because the last western Roman emperor ("Romulus Augustulus") was in exile there in 476. Inside the fortress, there were churches, monasteries, houses and empty lands. It survived until 902, when it was destroyed by Naples' citizens (as a result of the the Muslim invasions). After this period, the "castrum" was not completely abandoned: a lot of sources from the 10th to the 12th centuries report that it was utilized as a storehouse for the nearby port of Naples. A lot of merchants from various cities (also from Pisa) were interested in buying a part of "castrum Lucullanum".